Monday, August 10, 2009

I am no angel

Today a friend of mine got so upset and angry at me for not coming to the rescue last wk. When he sms-ed me asking for help, I was having dinner with few friends celebrating a friend's bday as well as her farewell.

When I received his sms, I decided not to go and meet him.

I don't know if it's just me or people do struggle with saying 'no'. I used to struggle a lot (and still struggle sometimes) with saying no to people who ask for help. When people ask for help, the pressure -to say yes because of our pure heart wanting to help (as much as possible) that comes from God's command to love our neighbour as we love ourselves- is so big that we can't find ourselves in a position to say no. When we say no, we will feel so guilty and condemn ourselves. We'll ask ourselves, what if it's the chance to share the Gospel, what if it's the chance to bless them so they know that God loves them.

The truth of the matter is we are no saviour, we are not God, only God can save everyone, and people need to learn to depend on God more than others.

My friend got so upset and angry he called me names. I apologise to him sincerely for not being able to meet him last wk and told him that 'I am no angel, nor am I God. I can't always be there for you.'

I'm still struggling now and then, but it becomes easier to overcome when I learn to seek wisdom from God and prioritise my activity on a daily basis.

No comments: