Monday, March 9, 2009

The Role of Women in the Kingdom of God

I was born and grew up in a traditional christian family, where I was told that man is supposed to be the head of the family, be the protector to the woman and family and be the breadwinner, while woman ideally is supposed to stay at home and raise the kids, obey the husband, cook, clean and bla bla bla... And at church, I could only recall 1 lady who preached from the pulpit of my church back in indonesia. Though it's changing slowly, women didn't hold important position in church. The scripture also said few things about women.

But I remember once I was thinking about the role of women in life, including the Kingdom of God. It can't be right that women can't or shouldn't do anything, and men are above women. I'm not rich at all, in fact I don't have lots of money, so if I'm married and I'm the only one who's working, how can I ever buy a house and pay off the mortgage? More than that, raising kids is the responsibility of both parents, not just the wife/mother. Even at church level, if every humanbeings were to reach their greatest potential, there must be a place for women.

Those were my thoughts.
Don't get me wrong. I have nothing against women holding a high and very crucial position anywhere, but it was my thoughts long time ago, OK.

So over time I forgotten altogether about it, though gradually I saw the changes, even my own mind can't deny the importance of women in and outside church.

But yesterday night, I read this book authored by Ps. Yonggi Cho about growing a home cell group. There's a section there where he wrote how important it is the role of women in church and society. To help me understand his point of view, he provided all the relevant passsages from the bible and explain it quite plainly.

Then all those thoughts from the past came back, and it clicked. But more than that, my mind and heart are more open than ever (if I can put it that way) about women from biblical perspective.

I was like, " W O W "
Man... the awesomeness of God's Word is just so..... hmm.... awesome, ahahaha....

But yeah. I fully recommend this book to you. The title is 'Successful Home Cell Groups', by Dr. David Yonggi Cho. It's a brief story of how God lead him to grow The Full Gospel Church from 2400 members to over 700,000 members using home cell groups.

No comments: