Thursday, June 10, 2010

Losing the plot

Had a great time talking to my housemate just now. Amazingly I felt I was preaching to myself.

He's my housemate and member in my LG. I noticed he has such a huge heart for people. He would go the extra mile when people asked for help and he wouldn't complain when they made his life harder. What concerned me the most is not how people would take advantage of him, of his kindness, but more so on the part where he can lose the plot.

The great commandment is not to love others as we love ourselves, and then to love God. But it is to love God, and then to love others as we love ourselves. God comes first, not others.

As we love God (and we put it into practice), we will naturally love others and ourselves as well. But when put all our focus on helping others, meeting their needs we can put ourselves in a dangerous position where we get so busy spending time with others (reaching out, helping and caring for them) that we forget to love God, to spend time with Him, to commune with Him. When we do that, we can lose the plot, of why we're doing what we're doing, because we will be disconnected from God.

It is not easy, but there has to be a balance between spending time with God and spending time with others. We can not spend all our time with God and not a second with others, if it happens there's something wrong, because the heart of God is to see people come back to Him and enjoy His love.

No comments: