Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Learning to praise God

There's so many things I'm learning at this period of time with my jobless situation. But 1 thing that is so challenging for me to do in all honesty is to praise God.

I know it may sound ridiculous, but it's just the truth.
As I'm writing this, I'm actually learning to praise God from the bottom of my heart in my current circumstances and in my brokenness. I am learning to praise Him in my prayer, declaring His goodness, praising Him for His awesomeness.

I have been praying so hard for Him to open the floodgate of heaven to bless me with a job as I am getting desperate day by day. But I realised that in my quiet-time, I never really praise Him. I did praise Him, but not really.

It's like this, when I just woke up I would speak in tongue and pray, "God, thank you for letting me live today and thank you for what you're about to do today." Then I would continue with my prayer list, it's almost like a routine where the words became almost meaningless.

But tonight I felt the need to praise God, simply for who He is. And while praising Him in my prayer, I felt the Holy Spirit asked me if I really mean it, and I said yes, I mean it. And He showed me my current situation and asked me again. Then I stopped and pondered upon it, and I said, "Yes, He is worthy of all praise, cause my praise to Him shouldn't be affected by my circumstances." After that intimate moment, I realised that I haven't been praising Him. I felt so discouraged looking at myself.

ah.... it's actually not easy to praise God when you sort of don't have anything to thank Him for, because we need reason to praise Him. But that's exactly what I'm learning right now, to praise Him even when I'm going through challenges, to praise simply for who He is. I am no God, I am His creation and He is the God, so I praise Him.

No comments: