Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Great leaders produce greater leaders

These couple of months, me and my leader have been busy building and training a couple of guys in my group to grow in their leadership skills. Starting from the basic stuff, that is growing in their personal relationship with God, to how they should communicate different things to others, be it in formal or casual way.

It takes a skill to be a great leader in the house of God.
Everyone knows that without God's support, a leader will not last long. But more than that, it's a leader's responsibility to grow in his/her leadership skill. And that's what I and my leader have been doing. It's not easy, as we needed to touch on few sensitive issues, like pride, faithfulness, as well as communication and interpersonal skills.

One thing that I learn is that, as we both help them to grow in their skill, I am actually also growing in the areas we're teaching/helping them to grow in, as I was reminding myself again about the things we were discussing at any particular meeting.

I remember someone once said that, great leaders produce great leaders (in my dictionary it should be great leaders produce greater leaders). When we disciple others, we need to think of this question, 'who can replace us if we're not around tomorrow?'.

If no one can replace me, then I'm a failure. In times of need, followers must be able to rise up to be great leaders, as Paul wrote in 1 Cor 11, follow me as I follow Christ. Elisha rose up to be great prophets thanks to the training he received from Elijah. Elijah made so much impact on him that he dared to ask for double portion of Elijah's spirit (anointing of God). In the bible, there's only 4 occasions where waters were parted, Moses with the red sea, Joshua with the Jordan river plus Elijah and Elisha both parted Jordan river as well.

I do not want to be a leader where I achieve so many things during my leadership period. I want to be someone who leads and produces great leaders in the house of God. What's so good about it when you can achieve so many things but no one can continue doing great things you've done. There's nothing fascinating about it. Examples are everywhere, you can start with Alexander the Great. The moment he died, his empire died as well.

So that's one of my goal, if I'm not around next yr, or next month, or even tomorrow, someone (under my leadership) will be able to rise up and take my place to lead others and produce even greater leaders than they are in God's house. All I have to do is just to give my best (and I'm trying to give my best) in training them and helping them grow in their leadership skill, and then let God do the rest.

No comments: